The Mortgage Loan Assistant is responsible for providing broad-based administrative and loan support to mortgage lenders, from origination to closing, while effectively balancing service, quality, compliance and adherence to regulatory requirements and guidelines.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Review loan applications and supporting documentation, package for completeness and conformity to secondary market and/or investor guidelines.
- Prepare loan files and assist with obtaining / gathering necessary documentation from borrowers and reviewing for accuracy; enter loans into loan origination system; order credit reports and submit through appropriate automated underwriting systems (AUS). Reviews findings to determine loan conditions and follow up.
- Create and maintain loan files, track lock expirations and loan document tracking to ensure timely closing of loans.
- Open escrow accounts, obtain title, flood, appraisal, credit reports, verifications, hazard insurance binder and flood binder (if applicable). Upon receipt review for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures timely follow up with customers to include but is not limited to draws, maturing loans, etc.
- Provide status updates to loan officer(s) and identifies issues in need of attention. Communicates with all parties to set and manage expectations in order to meet targeted contingency and closing dates.
- Respond to less complex customer inquiries and issues.
- Provides assistance with maintaining and updating a client and referral source database.
- Prepare information for marketing to create finance sheets and flyers; coordinate open houses and other external marketing events.
- Maintain sales pipeline and complete activity reporting, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain current knowledge of banking and lending rules and regulations and ensures compliance with all bank policies and procedures, as well as applicable state and federal regulations. Stay current on new types of loans and mortgages.
- May originate less complex real estate loans, as approved by management.
- May conduct interviews with prospective borrowers, analyze financial and credit data, determine customer financing objectives, advice customers of product/pricing policies and guidelines, and gather additional required information.
- Participate in community and industry organization activities to promote the Bank’s image and growth.
- High School Diploma or equivalent – required; Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Marketing or relevant discipline – preferred.
- 1 - 2 years recent experience in a mortgage and/or consumer lending sales/origination or lending operations environment – required.
- Recent experience and working knowledge of secondary market investor guidelines – preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may be considered.
- Provides an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers and responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Strong professional, interpersonal, listening, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate outstanding/follow up issues over the phone, in person and via email; with the ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Understands and applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to assigned area, as well as the Bank’s policies, procedures, products, and services.
- Strong organizational, time management, data review and processing skills; with the ability to manage multiple assignments and goals, with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail and a strong focus on accuracy.
- Demonstrated self-motivational skills and the ability to work in a high pressure, high-volume production-oriented environment while ensuring deadlines are met.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Proficient PC experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), and Mortgage Lending Software and websites, with the ability to adapt to and learn new technologies quickly.
- This position requires National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) registration under the terms of the SAFE Act of 2008. Continued employment in this position with Heritage Bank is contingent upon successful registration and annual re-registration thereafter.
- Valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and access to reliable transportation, as occasional travel is required.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions, and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule and or extended hours, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting 20 – 30 lbs. (i.e., loan files, boxes).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Please click here to view our Equal Employment Opportunity Policy.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click the following links for more information regarding these rights, including: Equal Employment Opportunity, Employee Rights and Responsibilities under the Family Medical Leave Act, and Employee Polygraph Protection Act.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.com